Garlic kulambhu /puntu kulambhu/lehsoon ka curry/veluthulli kuzambhu
recipe courtesy :priti akky (Priti Prabhu)
Mustard seeds-1/2 tsp
Fenugreek seeds/methi seeds -1/4 tsp
Curry leaves-1 sprig
Asa foetida/ hing- ¼ tsp
Onion-2 small ones
Spice powders used
Red chilly powder- 2 tsp
Coriander powder-2 tsp
Salt as needed
Turmeric powder-1/2 tsp
Water as needed to extract the tamarind juice
1. Peel the garlic pods. Slice the onions. Soak the tamarind in 1 cup water and extract thick juice from it.
2. Heat oil in a kadai/pan, once It’s hot add in the mustard seeds and allow them to pop up.
3. Once done add in the methi seeds and curry leaves.(you cannot see curry leaves in the picture below as i was in short of it in my pantry) Sauté for a minute.
4. Sprinkle hing generously.
5. Time to add in our main ingredient garlic. Sauté till the raw smell goes.
6. Add in the onion slices and sauté till they become soft.
|added the garlic into the kadai for sauting|
|onions have become soft|
7.Now switch off the stove and pour this mix into the tamarind water.Mix well.
8.Then again add back the entire mix into the kadai.
9.Add in the spice powders. Bring this whole curry to a boil, till oil is seen floating on the top..
You should cook this curry till oil is visible floating on the top.
9. Do a taste test for the spice powders and salt.Our garlic kulambhu is ready to serve.
10. Enjoy with steamed rice..!
:The curry should taste spicy as well as should be able to taste the tangyness of tamarind.
So you can increase or decrease the amount of spice powders accordingly.
:The gravy too should be little thick in consistency.