Chow chow/chayote stir fry/chow chow sukke/chow chow thoran
Cho cho/chow chow /chayote-1 medium sized
Grated coconut-3-4 tbsp
Mustard seeds/sarson/soriso/kaduku/sasam-1 tsp
Fenugreek seeds/methi/uluva-1/4 tsp
Black gram/urad dal/uzunnu parippu/ud dha dali- 1/2 tsp
Crushed garlic pods- 3-4
Finely chopped onion-2 tbsp
Turmeric powder/haldi/manjal podi-1/2 tsp
Chilly powder/lal mirchi powder/mulagu podi/mirya pitto-1/2 - 1 tsp
Salt to taste
Water as needed
1. Wash, clean and chop the chow chow and potato into small cubes. Pressure cook them up to 1 whistle on high flame and 2/3 minutes on low flame. Keep aside.
2. Finely chop the onions. Crush the garlic & keep all the ingredients ready.
3. Heat oil in a kadai/pan
4. Once the oil is hot do the tempering using the ingredients given under the label "to temper".
5. Sauté the onions and garlic till they turn brown in color.
6. Once done, into it add the spice powders (chili powder and turmeric powder). Sauté till there raw smell goes.
7. Now, time to add the finely chopped and pressure cooked chow chow and potato cubes. Give them a good mix.
8. Add needed amount of salt. Cover it with a lid and let it cook for 1-2 minutes. So that in case if any pieces o the veggies are uncooked they will get cooked properly.
9. Once done do a taste test .finally sprinkle coconut scrapings. Give them a final toss & switch off the flame.
10. Enjoy with steamed rice /rotis (Indian flat breads)
|CHOW CHOW STIR FRY|