Spring onion/Ulli poo thoran/Spring onion cooked with coconut scrapings
Spring onion -1 bunch
Coconut scrapings -3 tbsp
Oil (recommend for using coconut oil if possible) -2 tsp
Mustard seeds/sarson/soriso/kaduku/sasam -1/2 tsp
Black gram or lentil /urad dal/uzunnu parippu -1/2 tsp
Fenugrek seeds/methi seeds/uluva -1/4 tsp
Green chilly/hari mirch/pacha mulagu/miryasaangh -1
Turmeric powder/haldi/manjal podi-1/4 tsp
Red chilli powder/mulagu podi-1/2 tsp
Salt /namak/uppu/meeth -to taste
1. Chop the onion finely. Slit the green chillies. Chop the spring onions .Crush the garlic pods. After thoroughly washing them. Keep ready all the ingredients.
2. Now heat oil in a pan. Once it’s hot add in the mustard seeds. Allow them to pop up.
3. Once it’s done add in the black lentils, fenugreek seeds. Sauté them for a minute.
4. Now add in the green chilly& the crushed garlic pods slits. Sauté them too for a second.
5. Add the finely chopped onions along with the spice powders and salt. Give them a good mix.
6. Once the onions turns soft add in the chopped spring onions. Mix them well. Cover and cook for few minutes. The spring onions won’t take much time to cook.
7. Once done do a taste test and adjust the spices. Our spring onion thoran is ready to serve.
8. Serve it along with steamed rice or rotis .
|SPRING ONION THORAN|