STEAMED RAGI(Finger millet or fox millet) CAKE/RAGI PUTTU/NACHONYA PUUT
Ragi powder-1 cup
Water as needed
Coconut scrapings or grated veggies (carrots, chopped cilantro, onions etc) as needed
Idli steamer or traditional puttu steamer or pressure cooker steamer
1. Take ragi flour in a mixing bowl add salt and sugar.mix the dry ingredients with your hands. Now start sprinkling water little at a time and mix the flour
|Flour ready to go into a steamer|
2.When you take a hand full of flour and press in between your fist it should hold the shape that is the right consistency and when you drop it it should crumble.
-too much water will make it hard
- too little water makes it to remain as powder itself and will taste raw. (be carefull while adding water)
3. Now take your pressure cooker fill half with water close the lid remove the whistle and heat it up.
4. Meanwhile we can layer the puttu in the gadget(steamer) .
- begin by keeping the hole disc into it.
- Now add coconut scrapings
|PRESSURE COOKER STEAMER|
Again layer with scrapings
-2 handful of flour &
Ending with coconut scrapings
Close the lid and steam for 15 minutes.
5. Once done switch off the flame. Wait for few minutes. Now hold the steamer tube parallel to the plate and with the help of a skewer gently and slowly push the hole disc so that the puttu will slip onto the plate.
Serve with curry of your choice..enjoy
I used a mixture of grated carrots, finely chopped onions & coriander leaves instead of coconut scrapings
|RAGI STEAM CAKE|